So, I found this text at http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/weight-loss, and it caught my attention because the topic I’m about to discuss might be quite controversial. This text reminded me right away of what Jim Carrey says in the movie Liar, Liar to his son when the little boy says: ‘My teacher told me real beauty is on the inside’, and the father replies: ‘That’s just something ugly people say’… I know, I know, just remember I did not make that second statement. It’s in the movie. However, if you remember, at that point of the movie, Jim Carrey cannot lie, and that’s why he is bold enough to something like that to his son. So, my question is: If we all didn’t have a choice, like the character Jim Carrey plays in this movie, but to be absolutely honest, would you agree with the statement ‘Real beauty is on the inside.’, or ‘That’s just something ugly people say.’? (remember to leave your comments)
That said, here’s the quote that made me think of that part of the movie:
“Get Off The Scale! You are beautiful. Your beauty, just like your capacity for life, happiness, and success, is immeasurable. Day after day, countless people across the globe get on a scale in search of validation of beauty and social acceptance.
Get off the scale! I have yet to see a scale that can tell you how enchanting your eyes are. I have yet to see a scale that can show you how wonderful your hair looks when the sun shines its glorious rays on it. I have yet to see a scale that can thank you for your compassion, sense of humor, and contagious smile. Get off the scale because I have yet to see one that can admire you for your perseverance when challenged in life.
It’s true, the scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. That’s it. It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose, life force, possibility, strength, or love. Don’t give the scale more power than it has earned. Take note of the number, then get off the scale and live your life. You are beautiful!”
In My Opinion
My experience in life has taught me many a times two concepts related to this topic:
- Never judge a book by its cover.
- Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
So, you guessed. I agree that true beauty in on the inside. However, as a wellness advocate, I believe that there’s a lot more to think about when it comes to being overweight, and the number 1 thought that comes to my head is HEALTH. Why in capital letters? It’s simple. Without health, you cannot enjoy life at its most. How do I know? I was overweight myself, and I cannot believe how losing 20 pounds changed my life. We’re talking about healthy blood pressure, reducing your risk of heart disease and diabetes, enjoying your kids more, and much, much, more. (I’ll write about that later)
Now, I’m not talking about being size zero, or having the body of The Rock. Losing as little as 10% of your body weight can greatly improve your health. However, you don’t have to spend 2 hours at the gym everyday. You don’t even need to join a gym to lose weight. A doctor, whose name I wish I remembered, said two things.
- Being overweight + exercising is better than being overweight without exercising.
- Do you think you can keep your sleeping, working, and sitting hours down to 23 1/2 hours and exercise for 30 minutes everyday?
In other words: Losing weight and getting fit is about living your present at its most and knowing your future will be a lot better than the future you’ll have if you don’t make the decision of losing that extra weight. And if you think you’re in a difficult situation, check out this video.
- Jim Carrey Calls New Movie Too Violent (abcnews.go.com)
- Fitness And Weight Loss News (whatishealthyliving.wordpress.com)
- Do B-12 Shots Help With Weight Loss? (livingtoolarge.wordpress.com)
- TrustedConsumerReview Announces Best Las Vegas Weight loss Clinic for July 2013 (prweb.com)
- Weight Loss Isn’t About Changing the Number, It’s About Changing Your Life (weightloss.answers.com)
- Dietmatch, Inc. Presents First Social Networking Weight Loss Plan with… (prweb.com)
- Losing Weight Can Also Help Your Feet (everydayhealth.com)
- Why Weight Loss is NOT the Best Answer (maxpotentialsports.com)
- Weight Loss: Little Changes Can Bring Big Results (howtodropweight.wordpress.com)
- Weight Loss Is Just Simple Math (noshme.wordpress.com)