Before we get to the exercises, remember that no matter how tight your abs are, you won’t ever see the muscles if they are under a layer of fat. You need regular cardio exercises and the right diet to melt the fat away. But if you’re eating smart and getting your heart rate up through daily cardio, use the exercises shown here to target all your abdominal muscles. With a little training, they will cinch you in like a natural corset for a slimmer waistline.
IMPORTANT NOTE: When doing ab exercises, remember to always keep your stomach muscles contracted to keep them engaged. And if you’re lying flat on your back, press your lower spine to the floor—no gaps!
- Complete all six exercises in one workout.
- Rest 30-60 seconds between sets.
- Repeat three non-consecutive days per week.
- Bicycle Crunches Streamline your torso by targeting all major abdominal groups. Lie flat on the floor with your hands behind your head. Pull up into a crunch bring one knee to your chest while straightening the other leg. Bring the opposite elbow towards your bent knee. Repeat the motion and switch legs and elbows, as if you’re pedaling a bicycle. Do 3 sets of 15 reps.
- Donkey Kicks Sculpt your rear end and legs while tightening your tummy. Get down on your hands and knees. Kick back your left leg and stretch it out behind you. Keeping your leg straight, press it upward in small, controlled movements 10 times. Switch legs and repeat. Do 10 reps for each leg.
- Leg Lifts focus on the middle and lower abdominals to banish the dreaded stomach pooch. Lie flat on your back with your arms at your sides and your legs flat on the floor. Lift your heels 6 inches off the ground, keeping your legs straight. Hold for 30 seconds. Slowly lower your legs and repeat three times.
- The Reverse Curl Engages your abs like a true crunch but saves your from strain. Lie on the floor with your hands by your sides. Lift your bottom off the floor using only your stomach muscles (resist the urge to push with your legs and feet). Keep your arms and shoulders on the floor. Hold for a few seconds. Then slowly lower yourself down. Repeat 15-20 times.
- The Vertical Leg Crunch Targets six-pack muscles and obliques for an all-around trimmer waist line. Lie on the floor with your hands behind your head and extend your legs straight up with your knees slightly bent. Cross your ankles. Do 15 crunches, making sure your shoulders are off the ground. Recross your ankles t engage the other side of oblique muscles and do 15 more.
- The Plank strengthens your core while sculpting your abs. Lie face down with your elbows close to your sides and directly under your shoulders, palms down with fingers facing forward. Slowly lift your torso and thighs off the floor, raising onto your toes and forearms. Maintain a straight, rigid line from head to heels. Breath deeply and hold the position for 10-20 seconds. Keep your form rigid as you slowly lower your body back down. Repeat 3-5 times.
Now that you finished reading this article, get up and start doing the exercises. You’re not going to wait until Monday or tomorrow morning, are you. The whole workout won’t take you more than 20, so make the decision and, like Nike says, Just Do It.